Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Beginning

I just signed up to run the half marathan at the United States Air Force Marthon. Now I just have to train myself to be able to run 13.1 miles. I intend to use this blog to keep track of my training and to let anyone who cares know how it is going.

So far this year, the farthest I have run continuously is about 4 miles. Towards the end of my training, I expect to run as far as 11 miles. I have about 16 weeks to go until race day, which is about the right amount of time for me to adequately build up my endurance. I don't really care so much about speed: my goal is to complete the race without walking. Based on the pace I usually keep, that would mean I would probably finish in under 2 and 1/2 hours.

My first official training day will be this coming Monday, June 1. My goal that day is to run about 2 miles, according to the training plan I created on runnersworld.com. I actually prefer to run for time rather than distance, so I will normally assume about a 10 minute per mile pace and multiply that by the recommended number of miles (I actually will probably run slightly faster than this pace). Since 2 miles is rather short, I will probably try to run for 25 minutes, so I will probably run roughly 2 and 1/2 miles on Monday. I will post another entry after my run. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment